Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Discovery of Jewish Ancestors

My experiences with family history research have been quite adventurous this year. I have been able to trace ancestry on my mother’s side as far back as the sixth generation. I started out with the name of my great-grandmother, Beatrice Glasser (1919-1972), and have been blessed to go as far back as two generations.

While I was busy doing my summer research, I discovered that I have some Jewish ancestors who immigrated from Russia to the United States during the second half of the Nineteenth Century.

I had wondered why my third great-grandparents had immigrated from Russia to the United States during the late 1800's. So, I made my inquiry by searching the Internet, and had found that they were among many other Ashkenazi Jews who fled the Russian Empire in order to escape religious persecution.

In addition to this investigation, I learned that Glasser was a spelling variation of Glaser, which happens to be German and Jewish (Ashkenazic), according to Ancestry.com.

The map below is a rendition of the Russian Empire during the 19th Century.

(Image Source: http://www.ulm.edu/innovator/lessons/revolt/pre1917/mapeuro19thc.html)

7 comments:

  1. How exciting! Most of us here are adopted into the Tribe of Israel. You are a literal descendant. Good luck on further research. It must be a challenge to translate the records.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very exciting, and I am grateful to have found this. The only evidence I have found so far come from a couple of U.S. Census records which I have ran across. I downloaded them to make sure that I have them. I haven't translated anything at this point, and I am at a brick wall at this point with this side. I at least know where they came from, however.

      Delete
  2. I had the chance to help a friend with research for her Russian/German family that fled Russia in order to save their children from military conscription. It's fascinating when the study of history touches our family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the chance to help a friend with research for her Russian/German family that fled Russia in order to save their children from military conscription. It's fascinating when the study of history touches our family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the chance to help a friend with research for her Russian/German family that fled Russia in order to save their children from military conscription. It's fascinating when the study of history touches our family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is always exciting when you can break down those brick walls. Great job!

    ReplyDelete