Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Polish Heritage, and the Family in Family History Podcast (Updated)

There has been a lot of focus on Russian heritage in most of these posts. I am going to make a switch to my Polish ancestry, which come from my maternal grandmother's side of the family.

I have been unsuccessful in trying to figure out my second great-grandmother Rose's maiden name. There is a marriage record index, and it is suggesting that her name was Rose Sanders, and that she was born in Russia.

The problem I am finding here is trying to figure out if her maiden name was even Sanders. Is Sanders even a Polish name? In fact, I have no knowledge to determine if she was even Jewish.

In regards to the birthplacethe fact that Poland has rarely been autonomous during modern history, it's likely that Rose came from a region in Poland that was under the dominion of the Russian Empire.

Rose Sanders immigrated to the United States during the 1890's. The majority of the federal census records I say that she was born in Poland. And, as a matter of fact, I recently spoke with my grandmother, and I was told that this vital detail about Rose is correct.



This is a brief, experimental podcast which I have created. Please listen by clicking on the link below.

The Family in Family History - PODCAST

No comments:

Post a Comment